Increasing exposures in today’s practice environment are leaving dental professionals vulnerable to financial and emotional stress. The Doctors Company offers one of the most comprehensive and affordable malpractice insurance policies available on the market.
Designed to meet the unique needs of the dental industry, this coverage solution can protect your practice, employees, assets, and reputation in the event of a malpractice allegation.
Already a Member?
Sign in to pay your bill and download your policy documents. To make changes to your policy or update your information, call Member Services at (800) 421-2368.
- Coverage available for all dental specialties.
- Claims-made and occurrence options.
- Coverage for dental assistants and hygienists at no additional cost.
- Nonlicensed dental healthcare providers, support staff, and volunteers covered automatically.
- 30-day locum tenens coverage included.
- Shared entity limits available at no additional charge.
- Separate entity limits are offered for groups of two or more.
- Protection against cyber liability and regulatory action.
- Defense outside the limits of liability.
- Trial expense reimbursement.
- And we make this promise to you: We will never settle a claim without your written consent, where permitted by law.
- Free retirement tail coverage for eligible members.
- Extensive patient safety tools and resources, including free on-demand and live CE and CME credits.
- Premium discounts available for part-time practitioners and those new to practice.
- Additional claims-free credits.
- A generous multiyear dividend program—we’ve already returned more than $415 million to eligible members.
- The Tribute® Plan, a significant financial award paid to members for their loyalty and their dedication to superior patient care.
Endorsed and Sponsored Programs
These prestigious dental organizations recognize our efforts in support of dentists and endorse or sponsor The Doctors Company as their chosen medical liability insurer.
Malpractice Risks: What Dentists Need to Know
In the ever-evolving healthcare environment, risk management is more important than ever.
is the average payout in dental malpractice cases.†
of dentists made at least one malpractice payment between 2006 and 2016.‡
dental professionals are named as defendants in U.S. malpractice lawsuits each year.§
TOOTH EXTRACTION RISK: CASE EXAMPLE
Malpractice allegations lead to $247,250 payment for damages.
A patient presented with a toothache. Finding an abscess, the dentist decided to remove the tooth in question. Everything seemed to be going well with the patient until a few days later, when he felt incredible pain in the area and uncontrollable drooling. The patient sued the dentist for malpractice as a result of the injuries as well as nerve damage and loss of taste. The suit stated the dentist negligently performed the tooth extraction and provided deficient postoperative instructions. The jury found the dentist to be at fault and awarded $247,250 to the plaintiff for medical expenses, loss of normal life, and pain and suffering.
IMPLANTATION RISK: CASE EXAMPLE
Jury finds standard of care not met, awards plaintiff $375,000.
A 63-year-old patient visited a dentist’s office to have a crown installed. She later discovered the crown was not properly fitted to her tooth and sued the dentist for negligent implantation. The lawsuit also alleged the dentist failed to diagnose and treat periodontal disease and other mouth issues. The jury found the crown indeed did not fit the plaintiff’s tooth and caused her great pain. They awarded her $375,000 for medical costs, loss of normal life, pain and suffering, and future pain.