OB Patient Safety Credit Program: Frequently Asked Questions
Our voluntary program is open to all qualifying member obstetricians, family practitioners providing obstetrical care, and certified nurse midwives (CNMs) who are actively involved in deliveries.
Phase One offers six continuing education credits for a series of on-demand courses addressing the most common types of obstetrical claims. Qualifying members who successfully meet the requirements can receive a patient safety credit of up to 10 percent applied to their next two policy renewal periods.
Phase Two offers 10 continuing education credits for courses addressing postpartum hemorrhage, cognitive errors in obstetrics and gynecology, and placental pathology. Qualifying members who successfully meet the requirements can receive a patient safety credit of up to 10 percent applied to their next two policy renewal periods.
Phase Three rewards physicians and their CNMs who earn certification in electronic fetal monitoring from the National Certification Corporation or the Perinatal Quality Foundation. Qualifying members who successfully meet the requirements can receive a patient safety credit of up to 10 percent applied to their next three policy renewal periods.
- How do know if I am eligible?
- Eligibility is determined by your policy’s underwriter. Your agent, broker, or patient safety risk manager will contact the Underwriting Department on your behalf.
Phases One and Two
- What is the time frame for completing the Phase One or Phase Two courses?
- Once you begin the first course, you must complete all of the courses in that phase during that calendar year.
- How long does it take a physician or CNM to complete each online course for Phase One or Two?
- Most courses can be completed in two hours. The Comprehensive Fetal Heart Monitoring course in Phase One takes longer. A course does not need to be completed all at once. Because the courses are on demand, you have 24/7 access and can log in or out without losing your place.
- How much do the Phase One and Phase Two courses cost?
- The coursework provider, The Sullivan Group, extends a discounted rate to members of The Doctors Company. The cost for Phase One is $250; the cost for Phase Two is $210.