The Future of Health Care Survey
As an organization founded by and for physicians, we conducted the Future of Health Care Survey to help inform membership of the profession’s shared sentiments as we enter a new phase of health care practice in the United States.
Over 5,000 physician members of The Doctors Company responded to the survey, providing an unparalleled representation of the nation’s physicians’ attitudes, perceptions, and intent related to the major components of health care reform, including changing practice models, new health care delivery systems, and electronic health records.
Highlights of the key findings featured in the survey press release include:
- Sixty-five percent of doctors do not think that health care reform will reduce defensive medicine.
- Sixty percent of doctors believe that health care reform will negatively impact patient care.
- Fifty-one percent of doctors believe that health care reform will negatively impact their relationship with patients.
- Only 11 percent of doctors are likely to recommend the medical profession to their children or other family members due to health care reform.
- Forty-three percent of doctors are likely to retire in the next five years due to health care reform.