News and Insights
Read about our industry leadership and our efforts to advance, protect, and reward the practice of good medicine.
- FEB 03, 2016Rethinking Population Health: Videos Focus on Strategy to Control Healthcare Costs
- JAN 06, 2016The Doctors Company Announces New Senior Vice President of National Underwriting Complex Accounts
- DEC 15, 2015How to Make Healthcare More Effective—And Affordable
- NOV 12, 2015The Doctors Company Wins National Award for Social Media Resources
- OCT 13, 2015Doctors Learn from Their Peers How to Harness Social Media
- JAN 19, 2016Concurrent Surgeries: How Much Is Too Much? , Healthcare Risk Management
In this article, Robin Diamond, MSN, JD, RN, discusses the issue of concurrent surgeries, which was recently brought to light in a series of reports by The Boston Globe. She explains the liability and patient safety risks of this type of surgery and promotes full disclosure of concurrent surgery to patients. [Credit: Healthcare Risk Management, AHC Media, www.ahcmedia.com or (800) 688-2421.]
- NOV 28, 2015Easy on Those Apps: Mobile Medical Apps Gain Support, But Many Lack Clinical Evidence, Modern Healthcare
Robin Diamond, MSN, JD, RN, senior vice president, patient safety and risk management, The Doctors Company, is among experts who discuss the potential benefits and risks of the use of mobile apps to monitor patients.
- NOV 19, 2015How to Teach Patient Safety to Young Clinicians, The Doctor Weighs In
This column by David Mayer, MD, highlights the 11th Annual Academy for Emerging Leaders in Patient Safety: Telluride Experience in Napa, California, founded by Dr. Mayer and sponsored by The Doctors Company Foundation. The weeklong experience teaches future clinicians effective communication skills that foster safe patient care and transparency. The article also features insight from Richard E. Anderson, MD, FACP, chairman and CEO of The Doctors Company, on the importance of speaking up when faced with a possible safety issue.
- NOV 02, 2015Achieving Better Outcomes in Orthopedics: Study Focuses on Doctor-Patient Communication, Physicians News Network
Ralph A. Gambardella, MD, chairman and president of Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic in Los Angeles and a member of The Doctors Company and its Orthopedics Advisory Board, discusses a study of 1,895 closed orthopedic medical malpractice claims from 2007 to 2014 by The Doctors Company. In this article, Dr. Gambardella outlines orthopedic risks and offers tips for orthopedic teams to minimize liability exposure and improve patient safety.