News and Insights
Read about our industry leadership and our efforts to advance, protect, and reward the practice of good medicine.
- JAN 05, 2015The Doctors Company Appoints William C. Rupp, MD, to Board of Governors
- DEC 22, 2014The Doctors Company Headquarters Dedicated to Founding Chairman
- DEC 16, 2014ICD-10 Implementation Poses Challenges for Healthcare Providers
- DEC 15, 2014OB/GYN Experts Focus on Early Warning Signs During Childbirth
- NOV 20, 2014Medical Practices Face Liability Risks Beyond Malpractice
- JAN 18, 2015Telemedicine Is a Growing Practice Model, But Beware of the Risks, KevinMD
While telemedicine has a lot to offer America’s health system, physicians must carefully consider when to incorporate it into the continuum of care and beware of potential risks, says B. Tilman Jolly, MD, member of The Doctors Company’s Executive Advisory Board and chief medical officer, Specialists On Call.
- JAN 10, 2015EMRs Can Hurt Physicians During Lawsuits. Here’s How., KevinMD
Keith L. Klein, MD, explains how electronic medical records (EMRs) can lead to lawsuits or result in a weak defense by casting the physician in an unfavorable light. Dr. Klein cites a study by The Doctors Company of EMR-related closed claims from 2007 to 2013.
- DEC 22, 2014The Doctors Company Dedicates Headquarters to a Founder, Napa Valley Register
The Doctors Company dedicated its corporate headquarters in south Napa in honor of Joseph D. Sabella, MD, founding chairman and former president and CEO of the nation’s largest physician-owned medical malpractice insurer.
- DEC 02, 2014Four Ways to Reduce Diabetes Care Malpractice Risks, Physician's Practice
Caring for diabetic patients can raise some unique malpractice risks for physicians. In this short video, Susan Shepard, director of patient safety education for The Doctors Company, highlights key steps practices should be taking to reduce the risks.
Diagnosis-Related Malpractice Claims by Specialty
Problems related to diagnostic error are the most common allegation in medical malpractice claims. These infographics show the top five diagnoses in these claims by specialty: cardiology, family medicine gynecology, hospital medicine, internal medicine, obstetrics, and pediatrics.