Healthcare in Transition Is Focus of Video Playlist
Experts Discuss Consolidation, Competition, and Growth Opportunities
Napa, California—April 29, 2014—The transition of the U.S. healthcare system from individual practices to big business and its impact on healthcare is discussed in a seven-video playlist released today by The Doctors Company, the nation’s largest physician-owned medical malpractice insurer.
The playlist, “Healthcare in Transition,” features industry experts who attended The Doctors Company’s Annual Agents Meeting, a forum where key partners gather to discuss trends with dynamic thought leaders. The playlist, available on The Doctors Company’s YouTube channel, is made up of the following short videos:
- “Revenue Growth Opportunities for Physicians”: Eric A. Klein, Esq. of Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton, LLP, offers two key ways physicians can increase their revenue base during this time of healthcare reform—value-based reimbursement and risk adjustment programs.
- “Why the Practice of Medicine Is Changing”: Mr. Klein discusses how the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and the resulting influx of new patients are changing the practice of medicine. He focuses on three key changes—the growth of mid-level practitioners, the availability of electronic data to provide real-time information during interventions, and electronic visits where physicians consult over the Internet.
- “Is the Family Doctor Extinct?”: Over the course of 70 years, group practices have increased from about 300 to more than 20,000. Joseph F. Olivo Jr., president of PMC, A Professional Management Company, comments on what is fueling this expansion and the evolution of the physician from small-business owner to entrepreneur of a large business.
- “How Healthcare Consolidation Benefits Doctors”: Mr. Olivo notes that consolidation can benefit physicians through cost savings when joining with larger healthcare organizations. He also discusses what physicians will have to give up in order to share in the profitability of these consolidated delivery systems.
- “Healthcare’s Changing Competitive Landscape”: Mr. Olivo focuses on how the competitive landscape has changed over the past 20 years due to consolidation. He discusses which entities are competing for healthcare dollars and how the new competitive landscape gives rise to pricing monopolies over large geographic areas—and potentially affects access to healthcare.
- “Healthcare Acquisitions Trends”: Mr. Klein adds his insights about the consolidation trend, noting that non-healthcare companies are beginning to enter the physician services arena. He provides examples of transactions that are taking place as companies move to improve their ability to manage population health.
- “Why Integrated Healthcare Delivery Is Inevitable”: Mr. Klein and Curtis A. Cole, Esq. of Cole Pedroza, LLP, discuss how consolidation has brought about integrated healthcare delivery systems. While the ACA is driving this emerging integration trend, physicians moved to consolidate well before the ACA, Mr. Klein notes. Mr. Cole discusses the benefits of integration, including cost savings, enhanced profitability, and improved patient outcomes.
“The Doctors Company is committed to bringing together thought leaders to provide our key partners with a deeper understanding of the trends that shape physicians’ insurance coverage needs,” said Stacy Schultz, senior vice president, Marketing, The Doctors Company. “We are proud to share these expert insights about our healthcare system in transition with a broad audience.”
About The Doctors Company
Founded by doctors for doctors in 1976, The Doctors Company (www.thedoctors.com) is relentlessly committed to advancing, protecting, and rewarding the practice of good medicine. The Doctors Company is the nation’s largest physician-owned medical malpractice insurer, with 75,000 members and $4 billion in assets, and is rated A by A.M. Best Company and Fitch Ratings.
Follow The Doctors Company on Twitter at @doctorscompany for industry trends, subscribe to its YouTube site to hear from industry experts, connect with The Doctors Company on LinkedIn to engage with company leaders, and find information on its key milestones and achievements on Facebook.