Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Resources
- FEB 10, 2015Conscious Sedation in the Dental Office
Susan Shepard, MSN, RN; and Don Wood, CRNA, CPHRM
Follow patient safety guidelines to enhance safety for patients receiving conscious sedation in the dental office.
- FEB 02, 2015Telephone Communication for Doctors
Susan Shepard, MSN, RN
When carelessly conducted, telephone communications can lead to diagnostic errors and misunderstandings that culminate in medical malpractice claims and lawsuits.
- FEB 01, 2015Patient Selection for Elective Procedures
Susan Shepard, MSN, RN
The patient selection process is a valuable tool for loss control, because many claims occur with patients who are not appropriate candidates for a procedure.
- DEC 10, 2014Editorial Comment on Maintenance of Certification
David B. Troxel, MD
Dr. Troxel suggests ways to restructure the MoC examination process to adapt it to changes in the healthcare delivery system.
From The Doctor's Advocate
- OCT 01, 2014Preventing Wrong Tooth Extraction
Barbara Worsley and Pamela Willis
Prevent wrong tooth extraction with risk management steps such as documenting the reasons for the extraction, promoting safety systems, and obtaining informed consent.
- MAR 28, 2014Referral and Negligent Referral in a Dental Practice
Greg Abramson, JD, CPHRM
General dentists should be aware of potential liability issues involving patient referrals.
- NOV 01, 2013Frequently Asked Questions: Treating Patients in a Difficult Economy
Susan Shepard, MSN, RN, and Richard Cahill, Esq.
Our experts answer questions about billing issues, including when patients are unable or unwilling to pay doctor charges.
- JUL 01, 2011Keys to Patient Safety for Anesthesiology
Susan L. Marr, MSA, CPHRM
Anesthesiologists can reduce potential liability by taking risk management steps, such as obtaining separate informed consent for anesthesia care.
- DEC 20, 2010Fire Safety in the Surgical Suite
Susan K. Palmer, MD, and Ernest E. Allen
Besides conducting annual fire drills that include what to do if a fire occurs on a patient, it is also wise to review fire risks in high-risk procedures prior to the start of the surgical procedure.
- DEC 01, 2010Interactive Guide to Patient Safety for Dentists and Dental Specialists
This interactive guide is designed to help you uncover areas of potential malpractice exposure in your dental practice.