Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Resources
- AUG 04, 2016FDA Warning on Use of Fluoroquinolone Antibacterial Drugs
The FDA has revised its Boxed Warning, the administration's strongest warning, to address these serious safety issues with the use of fluoroquinolones.
- APR 20, 2015Mid-level Practitioner Liability—Preventive Action and Loss Reduction Plan
This booklet can help practitioners avoid liability risks when hiring or working with mid-level practitioners.
- DEC 10, 2014Editorial Comment on Maintenance of Certification
David B. Troxel, MD
Dr. Troxel suggests ways to restructure the MoC examination process to adapt it to changes in the healthcare delivery system.
From The Doctor's Advocate
- DEC 20, 2013Interactive Guide to Patient Safety for Office Practices
This interactive guide is designed to help you uncover areas of potential malpractice exposure in your practice.
- OCT 03, 2013Medical Clearance
Susan L. Marr, MSA, CPHRM
Medical clearance should involve an exchange of information between the surgeon and the assessing physician to mitigate risk to the surgical patient.
- OCT 30, 2012It Hurts: The Patient with Noncancer Pain
Susan Shepard, MSN, RN, and Howard Marcus, MD, FACP
Physicians who treat acute and chronic pain need to be comfortable and secure in their competency and cognizant of the correct dosing guidelines, which may have dramatically changed in the past decade.
- SEP 19, 2012Otolaryngology Closed Claim Study
A review of 211 otolaryngology claims to identify top allegations and factors contributing to patient injury.
- APR 16, 2012Sinus Surgery: Key Lessons in Malpractice Risk
David W. Roberson, MD
An analysis of closed otolaryngology claims identified risk management issues such as possible technical problems and inadequate informed consent.
- DEC 20, 2010Fire Safety in the Surgical Suite
Susan K. Palmer, MD, and Ernest E. Allen
Besides conducting annual fire drills that include what to do if a fire occurs on a patient, it is also wise to review fire risks in high-risk procedures prior to the start of the surgical procedure.