Adverse Outcome Disclosure: What to Do When the Unexpected Occurs
Although many publications and presentations have tried to clarify the process over the past 10 years, adverse outcome disclosure continues to be avoided and often mismanaged. Despite best intentions, many recommendations have rendered the process more chaotic, not more consistent. Frequently, there is a gap between the patient’s desire to be told about medical errors and unanticipated outcomes and the provider’s comfort level in having a disclosure discussion. This Webinar will look at the changing role of transparency in adverse events and will address the appropriate processes that should be followed during these difficult patient encounters.
- Identify two definitions of medical error
- Recall three things patients/families want from communication in the aftermath of an unexpected adverse outcome
- State three considerations prior to holding a disclosure conversation
Course Materials to Review and Print:
Please note that these materials will no longer be provided at the scheduled programs.
- Adverse Outcome Disclosure: Doing the Right Thing…In the Right Way (PDF)
- Disclosing Adverse Outcomes in the Physician’s Office
- Physician Disclosure of Adverse Events
- The Doctors Company’s Disclosure Program
Earn 1.0 CME Credit
The Doctors Company is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to sponsor continuing medical education for physicians.
The Doctors Company designates this educational activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.